I Think ChemLab Just Fell
It is my belief that a person should without a doubt, be able to handle whatever alcohol or illegal substance that they decide to put into their body. If you can’t handle it, say no and lean on the wall with the other losers. (just kidding). I have always had a reasonably good ability to do so, and if I couldn’t I would accept the consequences like a man, (which usually meant cursing God and puking my soul into the toilet at work the next day).
Last night I went to the 2nd annual Save The Rhino’s show at Central Park put on by Mark Echo. The lineup included two of my all time favorite MC’s Common, and the almighty Rakim. It also featured two young bucks, (Lupe Fiasco, and Rhymefest) and two of the best DJ’s to rock a party (Z-Trip, and the Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid Capri). Compared to last year’s show, the weather was a lot cooler, it was much less packed, and it actually stopped raining when the show started. All around it was a dope show.
I met up with my one of my old roommates, and she brought one of her new roommates and her friends, her vice principal (looked just like the principal from Boston Public), and her Chemistry Teacher friend (tall white boy from Oklahoma or some other corn field). Every body was feeling the “lucky we’re not getting soaked while listening to great music so let’s PARTY!!” vibe, so it was all good in the hood. Their group had just come from a happy hour, and I had drank a couple of beers at a local deli (cheap ghetto style even though it was in the upper east) and had rolled a nice piece in a peach white owl.
Ok, so the music is blaring, a bunch of the audience members are following the God Rakim’s instructions to “roll that shit, light that shit, smoke it!!”, and I’m getting the evil eye from some of my friends which translates into, “What are you waiting for MF?!?!” And so I pull out my lighter and follow suit. It’s only me, my friend Nay, and Chemistry hittin’ it. More beers follow, and the music continues and I’m feeling happy. I hear a harsh version of my name, and I turn around to the chemistry dude asking, “do you have anymore to smoke?” I told him no, and received an obviously disappointed reaction. I initially felt bad like I had disappointed a friend, but then I realized, it was just chemistry guy that was let down mixed with the fact that I just wanted to smoke more myself. I swear like 3 songs later, I feel some pressure on my back. I figure it’s some crazy dude trying to get closer to the stage, so I hold my ground. The pressure then turned to weight, and slowly goes lower and lower until it reaches my ankles. I then realize some dude is on the ground. Now, it may be different for girls, but if ever I feel some dudes’ head between my legs, my initial reaction is to kick that shit to a bloody pulp. I backed up and cocked my leg back then stopped at the realization that it’s chemistry dog, face first on the muddy turf of Rumsey playfield. Let me tell you, the ground had Astroturf laid over which was completely soaked with the constant rain that had fallen earlier in the day mixed with dirt from the park. All I saw was a pile of brown hair, which was homeboy chemistry’s head, face first in a puddle with muddy bubbles rising up from the each side.
First thing to come to my mind was Chis Tucker from Friday yelling “you got knocked the FUCK OUT!!!” and thought maybe someone had clocked him upside the head with a bottle. But this was a peaceful crowd by hip hop standards, and realized chemistry was just a lightweight who got his ass handed to him by a blunt and decided to dive face first into the ground. Now let me break him down. Dude is like 6’3” and a young buck at that. When I was that age, I was like 140 pounds, and drank two 40’s of Private Stock malt liquor BEFORE I went to the club for a ten dollar open bar! Not that I should be proud of that, but it’s just the facts. The health professional side of me took over for a sec and wondered if he was ok so I went over to turn him over and get his face out of the puddle. Slowly he got up with the most shocked look that I’ve seen in a long ass time. After realizing he was ok, mixed with my roommate coming over to check on him, and Rakim flowing through his category of classics, I went back to head-bob mode, while periodically chatting with Nay to relive Chemlab falling like a chopped tree over and over again. I know that’s mean, especially since he's a nice guy, but he was ok, and everyone needs a wake up call every once in a while. Remember every one, whether it be from drinking or smoking, or whether it be in the privacy of your own home or in front of hundreds of hip hop heads standing in a muddy field, if it’s too much for you, then most likely it’s too damn much for you!!! Ok, class dismissed.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home